Wiltshire All photos by Hetty
5th June 2020 Map of walk
Sherston village has a big market place from the time when it was a borough. Most of the village was destroyed in a disastrous fire in 1511 and the houses are all of stone now with some interesting doorways. It used to have lots of pubs and some signs remain.
Balcony House with 1500s facade
N P lived here in 1691
Former 1820s chapel
Old Court House, early 16th century
Gouldings was a butcher’s shop
Former Swan Inn
16th century Angel Hotel – was owned by Winifrid Goodcheap, alias Cowly in 1648
This was another pub, built in the 16th century.
The old school, built in 1845, is now a post office and other businesses