Berkeley Church

Gloucestershire                                                  Photos by Hetty

23rd October 2018                                                               St Mary’s Berkeley, website

The tower is separate from the church, and maybe on the site of a Saxon church. it was rebuilt in 1750

There are 13th and 14th century wall patterns that were found when the plaster was removed, and they were restored (1865/6)

15th century stone screen

Berkeley burial chapel – built 1450. Front – James Berkeley (died 1463) and his son. Back – Henry Berkeley (died 1613) and his wife

Lord Thomas Berkeley (died 1361) and Lady Katharine (died 1385), who founded a school in Wotton under Edge

Links to:

Berkeley castle

Berkeley – Dr Jenner’s House Museum

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top