16th November 2018 More about St Nicholas church
A visit with Stroud U3A Church History and Architecture Group
St Nicholas Church at Lower Oddington is half a mile from the current village, as the original settlement has disappeared. The south aisle was the original 12th century nave, in the 13th century the nave, chancel and tower were added.
It is unusual to see effigies outside
On the bench in the porch are marks from sharpening arrows
The church was only used for funerals after a new church was built in 1852, but in 1912 mediaeval wall paintings, that had been whitewashed over, were uncovered during restoration. As the church has never been ‘modernised’, there is no electricity – so no lights or heating.
A curious slanted doorway
15th century font
Here is a large mediaeval ‘Doom’ Painting created about 1340 and is 32 ft x 15 ft
Next: Stow on the Wold