Wiltshire Photos by Hetty
28th March 2017
Ashton Keynes (Ashton until late 15th century) originated in Saxon times and the village started off by the church. From 1102 to 1539 it was owned by Tewkesbury Abbey, who developed it as a new town c.1320, where it is today. The production of leather was a major industry here since before 1630, and later glove making until the 1930s.
With the Stroud U3A photography group
Former Plough Inn, once a candle factory, has stables/outbuildings behind
1694 Thomas and Betty Emberey
‘Plank stone’ walling
One of the many lakes in the area, formed by the removal of gravel. This started in the 1920s, although one was made in the late 1700s.
Back in the village
The River Thames flows through the village, and properties have bridges for access
Former farmhouse, 17th century
The White Hart used to be called the Cordwainers Arms, as boots and shoes were made there. There are the remains of four mediaeval crosses in the village (c.1320).
One of the hares of the Cotswold Hare Trail 2017, called Stargazer
Afterwards we went to Cricklade