Corsham – Town, Almshouses, Church and Court

Wiltshire                                            Photos by Hetty

20th October 2018

The main street is full of listed buildings built from local Bath stone

Corsham was on TV as Truro in ‘Poldark’

A mural celebrates the town

WW1 bench

Almshouses and school house built by Lady Margaret Hungerford 1668

Schoolroom

Stables and brewhouse

Inside the schoolroom

The schoolroom was also used as a chapel

St Bartholomew’s dates from the mid 12th century, with 14th century additions and a  Victorian tower and spire, but it replaced a Saxon church

15th century font with Tudor roses

High up we found this

17th century parish chest

Here are monuments from 1627, 1849 and the one at the front 1958

15th century stone screen on left, and matching one from 1929 on right

15th century chest tomb

Gates to the park of Corsham Court

The stables and riding school are either side of this entrance

There was a house here in 978 but the current house was built in 1582, then added to in 1745, 1760 and 1797

Peacocks wander around the town

Corsham Court website – a member of Historic Houses Association

 

Formal gardens

Bath House

A folly, not a real ruin

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top