Elkstone Church

Gloucestershire

17th August 2018                                                    Photos by Hetty

A visit with Stroud U3A Church History and Architecture Group

The church was built in 1160, the original central tower was removed in the 13th century and a new one added in the 15th century. It has rare carvings – inside and out

When the first tower was removed a dovecote was added above the chancel

 

The vicarage next door

The manor house

 

Lots of characters

In the 14th century porch – Norman carving and tympanum

Norman arches with monster heads, and Norman window

Above the chancel is a dovecote

Stairs to the dovecote, and 17th century wooden pulpit on a 15th century stone base

Reading desk, 1604

Tower

15th century font

On the door

In the village

Next : Winstone Church

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top