CLEVEDON

Somerset

12th September 2017                                                                              All photos by Hetty

A visit with Stroud U3A photography group                           Map of walk  3.2 miles

We enjoyed an interesting, varied walk, on a sunny but windy day

Although Clevedon was mentioned in the Domesday Book, it remained a village until the Victorians turned it into a seaside town

The pier toll house (was the piermaster’s house) and the former Royal Pier Hotel

Clevedon Pier, opened in 1869 and was restored in 1989

We had a clear view across the River Severn to Wales

View south to the Poets Walk

There are lots of Victorian buildings and interesting architecture

Drinking fountains/horse trough

 

Clevedon Catholic Church

 

 

 

The peace memorial for Boer War casualties 1903, and the Green Beach fountain 1884

Bandstand

The millennium monument – “Spirit of Clevedon”

Salthouse Field light railway

The marine lake (built in 1929) with a paddle-boarder and some swimmers

On the Poets Walk is a lookout tower (rebuilt) that was built for a sugar merchant

The old harbour from Wain’s Hill, which was an Iron Age hill fort

 

St Andrew’s Church still has some 12th century architecture

 

Monument to a child of the 1600s

A green man corbel

 

 

 

 All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top