LYDIARD PARK

near Swindon, Wiltshire

31st July 2016                                                    Photos by Hetty

Lydiard House and Park is owned by Swindon Borough Council

Lydiard Church has impressive monuments, as well as 15th century wall paintings

1 copy2a2b copyAfter Henry VIII became head of the Church of England, Royal coats of arms of the king or queen of the day were shown in churches.

2c copy

3 copy

The Golden Cavalier 1645

4 copy

This elaborate family tree opens up, but we didn’t see inside

5 copy 6a copy

6b copy

This commemorates the 1st Baronet St John, his first and second wives, and his 13 children. It was made in 1634 and was designed by the baronet!

9 copy

7c copy 7d copy

8a copy 8b copy

8d copy8f

11 copy

12b copy

13 copy 16 copy 16b copy

Most of the wall paintings date from 1400-1450

18 copy

18b copy

There are table top tombs in the churchyard

20b copy

In the grounds is an ice house

21 copy

Stables

22 copy

The dam of the lake

23 copy

Lydiard House and the lake

24 copy

26e copy

27b copy

29c copy

30b copy

We’ll have to go back and visit the house and walled garden another day

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top