Lacock, Wiltshire

Lacock Abbey, Village and Fox Talbot Museum

24th January 2015                                                                      All photos by Hetty

It was a lovely sunny day when we visited Lacock Abbey NT . The National Trust owns the village as well, and it has been the setting for films etc, as it is unspoilt. Most of the houses are 16th & 17th century.

The abbey was established in 1232, but was turned into a house after the dissolution of the monasteries in Tudor times c.1540S1054864 copy

there was a sculpture trail in the gardensS1054865 copy

Snowdrops were outS1054866 copy

S1054897 copy

A lady blacksmith made this huge snowdropS1054868 copy

S1054902 copy

S1054869 copy

S1054871 copy

S1054875 copy

S1054878 copy

S1054881 copy

Entrance to the houseS1054882 copy

S1054884 copy

The 15th century cloisters remainS1054888 copy

S1054887 copy

S1054886 copy

A painting remaining from the time of the nunneryS1054889 copy

S1054894 copy

 

S1054899 copy

 

S1054903 copy

Winter aconitesS1054904 copy

This 16th century barn is now a photography museum. William Henry Fox Talbot created the first ever photographic negative in 1835 at Lacock AbbeyS1054905 copy

Unusual to see a clock on a doorS1054909 copy

S1054911 copy

A hedge ladyS1054915 copy

S1054918 copy

The Cruck House 14th centuryS1054919 copy

S1054925 copy

S1054926 copy  S1054928 copy

A thatched cottageS1054929 copy

with a Victorian postboxS1054930 copy

by the riverS1054931 copy

18th century pack horse bridge, and ford for carsS1054933 copy

Former workhouse and tanneryS1054934 copy

St Cyriac’s church, mainly 15th centuryS1054927 copyChurches used to be highly decoratedS1050193 copy

S1050195 copy

1501 brass memorial to the Banyards and their 18 childrenS1054939 copy S1054940 copy

Tithe Barn, 14th-century S1054941 copy

S1054942 copy

October 2013 – Lacock Village

The Chamberlain’s House and the Tithe BarnS1050159 copy

The High StS1050161 copy

S1050203 copy

The Porch HouseS1050202 copy

 

S1050189 copyThe market placeS1050197 copy

The Sign of the Angel inn, built in 1480S1050199 copy

Former forge (now a bus shelter) and The George Inn (dates back to 1361) S1050201 copy

Stocks behind The George InnS1050200 copy

Lacock AbbeyS1050169 copy

S1050170 copy

S1050168 copy

S1050172 copy

Chapter houseS1050174 copy

S1050177 copy

S1050186 copy

S1050179 copy

The Tudor courtyard has a brewery and bakeryS1050181 copy

S1050182 copy

S1050184 copy

S1050185 copy

 

S1050187 copy

CyclamenS1050188 copy

1989 – High St

High St in 1989

1989 – Porch House

1989 – The Sign of the Angel

Sign of the Angel

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top