Sussex                                                                                                            Photos by Hetty

4th May 2017

Steyning was a river port until the 13th century, and in the 18th Century it was an important town on the coach route between Brighton and London.

High St

The Chequers Inn has a late 18th century brick façade hiding its mediaeval timber

The Stone House, one of the oldest houses in Steyning dates from the 15th century. It was once a mint (for coins) and later a prison.

Steyning Church – this replaced a Saxon church. The nave is Norman, with a 16th century tower

Ancient door

Norman nave and clerestory with Norman arches, c.1150

Medieval wooden carvings

Next – Bramber

3rd February 2015

For map of walk, click here

We walked from Bramber to Steyning, and found him in the park – St Cuthman who built the Saxon churchS1055006 copySteyning’s Norman churchS1055019 copy

Stonework on the churchS1055008 copy


Once a Saxon port, the village has mediaeval timber framed, and Georgian brick, buildings.

S1055009 copy

S1055010 copy

This has been a school since 1584, and the brick porch was added in 1614

S1055011 copy

S1055012 copy

Some cottages date from the 14th centuryS1055013 copy

The Old Market House with clock tower, was once the town hallS1055016 copy

Workhouse cottagesS1055017 copy

S1055018 copy

Next – Bramber


All images on the website copyright of

Back to top