Sussex                                                                                                                          Photos by Hetty

24th April 2017    Map of walk

We followed an AA walk ‘Castle and River at Arundel’ – 3 miles

Gate house

Lovely view of Arundel Castle – it originated in the 11th century, but most of the present building is Victorian

Swanbourn Lodge by the lake, at the entrance to Arundel Park

Swanbourne Lake

Mrs Duck and her family

We came along that path down there

Hiorne Tower – a triangular folly

Arundel’s Roman Catholic Cathedral opened in 1873

It was designed by Joseph Hansom (inventor of the Hansom cab) in French Gothic style, for Henry Fitzalan-Howard, 15th Duke of Norfolk, of Arundel Castle


Saint Philip Howard’s shrine

Behind the castle wall

Entrance to the parish church of St Nicholas

Building began in c.1380, on the site of an earlier church. It was part of a priory

Anglican part

Behind the altar is an iron grille, through which you can see the Fitzalan Chapel (only accessed from the castle), which is Roman Catholic

14th century carved stone pulpit

Royal Coat of Arms

Part of the priory

Main entrance to the castle

High St


Remains of 13th century Blackfriars priory

Lovely tulips

Next – Devil’s Dyke

All images on the website copyright of

Back to top