Kent                                                                                                                     Map of trip

16th June 2015                                                                                                  Photos by Hetty

We spent the day walking around Canterbury, but we didn’t go into the Cathedral

This tower remains from St George’s churchS1057839 copy

This tower is all that remains of the medieval church of St Mary Magdalene. In the base is a Baroque memorial (1680)

S1057841 copy

The Cathedral from Butchery Lane

S1057844 copy

S1057845 copy

Old Weavers Houses by River Stour

S1057847 copy S1057849 copy S1057850 copy S1057851 copy S1057852 copy S1057855 copy S1057856 copy

14th century Westgate Towers were part of the town wallsS1057857 copyThe guildhall

S1057864 copyWestgate Gardens

S1057861 copyS1057859 copy

200-year-old Oriental plane tree

S1057862 copyTower House is used as the Lord Mayor’s office and for official functions

S1057863 copy

The Beaney Institute, 1897  – art gallery, museum and libraryS1057866 copy S1057868 copy

We followed Queen Bertha’s Walk from Canterbury Cathedral to St Martin’s Church, via St Augustine’s Abbey

The Buttermarket

S1057870 copy

Burgate is a medieval streetS1057872 copy S1057873 copy

The City Walls were originally Roman, then Saxon. They were rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries, with D shaped bastionsS1057876 copy

Lady Wootton’s Green, in front of 14th century Fyndon’s  Gate – which was the entrance to St Augustine’s Abbey; now the entrance to Kings SchoolS1057877 copy

St Augustine’s Abbey (English Heritage) was a monastery until its dissolution in 1538

Augustine founded a cathedral within the city walls, and a new monastery outside the walls about 598. The abbey was more important than the cathedral, until the murder of St Thomas a Becket in 1170. Then pilgrims came to the cathedral to visit the shrine of the murdered archbishop, and it became very rich and was enlarged

S1057881 copy S1057883 copy S1057884 copy S1057888 copy S1057889 copy

Canterbury Cathedral

S1057891 copy

An unusual post box from the reign of Edward VII

S1057892 copy

St Martin’s Church has Roman origins and has been in continuous use since about 580

The bell tower is 14th century

S1057903 copy

Part of the wall on the right is 4th century Roman

S1057901 copyS1057899 copy

This part was added in the 6th century

S1057898 copy

S1057896 copy12th century font

S1057897 copyView of Canterbury Cathedral from St Martin’s

    S1057904 copy


17th century house


S1057905 copy

Look at the door!

S1057906 copy S1057907 copy S1057908 copy S1057909 copy S1057910 copy

On the city wallsS1057911 copy S1057913 copy

Canterbury CastleS1057918 copy S1057920 copy

Dane John Mound is the site of a Norman Motte & Bailey castle

S1057921 copy S1057922 copyPrevious – Dover         Next – Margate

Send Hetty a message

All images on the website copyright of

Back to top