Hampshire                                                                                             Photos by Hetty

23rd April 2017                                                       Historic Houses Association – free to friends

There are lots of things to see at Beaulieu:

Palace House, Abbey ruins, gardens and grounds, Motor Museum and well known cars

Palace House was originally the Great Gatehouse of Beaulieu Abbey       History of Beaulieu

The gatehouse entrance was filled in to make it into a house

Small gatehouse


This robin joined us for lunch 

The Cistercian Abbey was founded by King John in c 1203, and destroyed by Henry VIII in 1538.

This is now the Beaulieu village parish church, but was once the Monks’ Refectory,


Holly flowers

The Domus building survives – it was the lay brothers’ refectory and lodgings

Inside the domus

The Mad Hatter’s Tea Party – in topiary!

Queen of Hearts and the White Rabbit


There is a monorail to get around the site

Victorian flower and kitchen garden

Famous cars – from Only Fools and Horses, and Mr Bean

World of Top Gear – extra, extra long cars

Double decker cars and car boat

The Stig and car-rocket 2

The National Motor Museum has 100s of cars and motorbikes, mainly ancient, but some modern

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang 


An orange and a bottle of beer

Caravan made of Lego!

Lots of bluebells

Next – Arundel

All images on the website copyright of

Back to top