FRETHERNE

Gloucestershire                                                                                                  All photos by Hetty

18th August 2017

A visit to St Mary The Virgin Church at Fretherne, with the Stroud U3A Church History and Architecture Group

The church was rebuilt in 1847, on the site of a C13 church, and enlarged 1857-9. It has a crocketed octagonal spire

It is very highly decorated, with a painted roof, and painting and gilding on carvings.

Chancel ceiling

Pyrograph picture

Tierney Chapel

 

The font’s cover has a dove counterweight to raise it

 

 

These angels are covering their eyes

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top