2nd January 2015 All photos by Hetty
On a lovely sunny day, we parked at Frampton on Severn, walked through the village to the church, then along the Gloucester & Sharpness canal to Saul, along a short stretch of the Stroudwater Navigation canal, then back to Frampton.
Click here for a map of the walk Distance 4.25 miles. Time 2 h 25 mins
Looking across Rosamund’s Green, reputed to be the longest village green in England, towards 18th century Frampton Court
The Wool Barn, Frampton Court Estate c.1550. Before Christmas we went to a craft fair in here.
16th century Manor
Old sign from a former brewery in Stroud
Former National School, with Victorian postbox
17th century tythe barn
Gloucester & Sharpness canal, from Splatt Bridge
Bridgeman’s house by Splatt bridge
The only boat we saw moving was the Pyewacket
River Severn, with flooded fields in front
Towards the houses on Frampton village green
Fretherne Bridge, and the former Cadbury Chocolate Factory, built 1916, closed 1983.
The Pyewacket returns
Junction of Gloucester & Sharpness ship canal, (constructed 1818 to 1827), with the Stroudwater Navigation (opened in 1779)
Gloucester & Sharpness Canal – the ducks like it here
Back at The Green, the sun is going down
More photos of Saul Junction
All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk
Back to top