WOTTON-UNDER-EDGE

Gloucestershire                                                                                             Photos by Hetty

9th November 2017                                  6.3 miles  Map of walk

From Wotton-under-Edge, we walked up Coombe Hill

on a cloudy, but mild, day

Then up Wotton Hill, where there is a group of trees on top

There is a panoramic view from here

We could see the Severn bridges

The Red House, former toll house – we were too late to see the red Virginia Creeper

Wotton Hill, where the group of trees are

26th April 2016                                                 

A visit with the Stroud U3A photography group (and a few photos from before)

The Saxon village (mentioned in 940) was near the church, but was destroyed by fire in the early 14th century. Part of the town was planned by Jone, Lady Berkeley in the 13th century along High St and Long St. There are 3 sets of almshouses in the town and there used to be 10 mills

Market St

Inside the Electric Picture House, which opened in 1913 in a former old pub, now a modern cinema

S1051066 copy

The Star Inn has 16th century origins. The cobbled area was part of the market place

S1051068 copy

Opposite the Star is the Town Hall, built as a market house in 1698-1700, which was open on the ground floor until 1872

S1051223 copy

May 2010

The Swan, 17th century coaching inn (May 2010)

S1051224 copyS1051222 copy

 

16th century or earlier, former shopS1051069 copy

The Tolsey – where market tolls were collected, has an 18th century brick front on a 16th century jettied building.

S1051071 copy Bell tower with 19th century dragon weather vane, and Jubilee Clock of 1897,

S1051073 copyS1051076 copy

 

it has 19th century shop fronts and an old doorS1051074 copy

Long Street

The Rope Walk, where rope was made

S1051077 copy

17th century Berkeley House. One room, decorated in 1740-60 Chinese wallpaper, was sold to the V&A Museum in London in 1924

S1051079 copy

18th century Lloyds Bank used to be an inn – the large doors on the left were for stage coaches

S1051080 copyNext door is a 19th century brick building

S1051081 copy

A Tudor door

S1051085 copy

The kettle is a tinsmith’s sign, originally over an ironmongers

S1051084 copy

Church St

Perry and Dawes Almshouses (photos Mar 2014) – built by bequest of

  • Hugh Perry – born in Wotton, Sheriff of London in 1632
  • Tomas Dawes 1723

S1050173 copy

S1050176 copyS1050175 copy

 

 

S1050174 copy

17th century chapel

S1051229 copy

Potters Pond (but no pond remains)

The Ram Inn’s deeds start in 1350, and stone masons who built the church may have stayed here. This building is probably 16th century, and has a barn attached

S1051155 copyS1051157 copy

S1051154 copyS1051156 copy

S1051091 copyS1051097 copyS1051149 copyS1051096 copy

17th century Moore Hall

 

S1051169 copySt Mary’s Church

This church was consecrated in 1283, (although there was an older one) and the tower is 14th century.

S1051171 copy

S1051172 copy

South porch with 18th century sundial

S1051170 copy

S1051181 copy

S1051175 copy

Handel played this organ when it was in London. It was bought in 1799 and restored in 1883

S1051180 copy15th century brasses of Thomas IV Lord Berkeley, and his wife Margaret with a dog at her feet

S1051179 copy18th and 19th century memorials

S1051183 copyS1051182 copy

S1051185 copy

Culverhay – near where the pigeon (culver)  house used to be

1837 Alms Houses endowed by Ann Bearpacker – one row for men and the other for women

S1051189 copy

S1051187 copy

The Bluecoat School was here from 1714 to 1974

S1051193 copyThe Court was once the vicarage and has a Palladium façade

S1051194 copyTabernacle Pitch

This former chapel is now auction rooms. It was re-built 1851-2 and replaced the chapel of Rev Rowland Hill, who was a friend of Edward Jenner

S1051196 copy

The Manse behind the chapel is 18th century

S1051200 copy

1887 Rowland Almshouses

S1051198 copy

S1051195 copy

 

We went inside a very old building that is supposed to be haunted:

S1051101 copy

S1051098 copy

 

S1051102 copyS1051107 copy

S1051165 copyS1051138 copy

 

S1051163 copyS1051110 copy

S1051108 copyS1051106 copyS1051112 copy

S1051115 copy

S1051120 copy

S1051125 copy

S1051126 copy

S1051129 copy

S1051128 copy

S1051135 copy

We did not see any ghosts!

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top