Near Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

6th June 2016                                                    Photos by Hetty

Map of walk

Prestbury was first recorded in 899-904, as Preosdabyrig, meaning ‘the priests’ fortified place’.

We started at The Burgage

Prestbury House was occupied in the Civil War by Parliamentarians

S1051306 copy


S1051307 copy

There are several thatched cottages in Prestbury

S1051308 copy

Deep St

This was originally a Congregational Church, opened in 1866

S1051309 copy S1051310 copy S1051311 copy S1051312 copy

The Kings Arms in High St

S1051313 copyWisteria

S1051315 copy

St Mary’s Church, was started in the 12th century, rebuilt 14th century, and resorted in 19th century

S1051316 copy

S1051317 copy

The Plough in Mill St was  built c.1623 as a bakery

S1051323 copy

Mill Street – We have fond memories of visiting Auntie Mary

S1051324 copy S1051325 copy

Looking up at Cleeve Common

S1051326 copy

Prestbury Manor

S1051329 copy

On the way to Queen’s Wood

S1051331 copy

Malvern Hills in the distance

S1051332 copy

The Race Course opened in 1902 – the first horse races were on Cleeve Hill in 1819. May Hill with the trees on top is in the distance

S1051333 copy S1051341 copy

This was Southam House, but is now Ellenborough Park (was Hotel De La Bere) – a Tudor Manor House dating from the 15th century

S1051346 copy S1051349 copy

Back in Prestbury

S1051352 copy

Back to the church

S1051353 copy S1051354 copy


S1051355 copy S1051357 copy S1051358 copy S1051359 copy

Back to the Burgage, where the market, granted in 1249, was held

S1051360 copy S1051361 copy

The Royal Oak Inn

S1051363 copy

All images on the website copyright of

Back to top