Painswick to Edge

Gloucestershire                                                                                                           Photos by Hetty

31st August 2014                         Click here to view map      Distance 8 miles, 5h 30 m

Painswick Town History

Thomas Twining, of Twinings tea was born in Painswick in 1675

We parked in the main car park and walked up New St

S1053009 copy

S1053010 copyLych-gate.

S1053011 copySt Mary’s church originated in the 12th century, but the oldest part of the current church is 14th century. The tower was built in the 15th century and the spire was added in the 17th century. The yew trees are famous.

S1053012 copy

The Falcon Hotel built 1711 was once the chief inn of the town. (Their website says is dates from 1554)S1053015 copy

Town Hall

S1053016 copy

The Beacon 1760

S1053017 copy S1053018 copy S1053019 copy

Former Chapel, 1806

S1053020 copy

Former post officeS1053021 copy S1053022 copy S1053023 copy S1053024 copy

This chapel was built in 1803 and restored in 1892

S1053025 copy S1053026 copy S1053027 copy

18th century cattle pound

S1053030 copy S1053032 copy

Gyde House used to be an orphanage

S1053035 copy

Golf course (created in 1891)

S1053042 copy

This cemetery opened when the churchyard was closed for burials in 1860

S1053044 copy

Through the woodsS1053046 copy

 

Catsbrain quarry

S1053049 copy S1053050 copy

On to the top of Painswick Beacon, and a wonderful view of the River Severn and the Arlingham Peninsula

S1053065 copy

Across the Severn is May Hill with the trees on the top

S1053066 copy

Gloucester, with its cathedral, is in the vale

S1053067 copy

An Iron Age hill fort (500-100 BC) lies at the top of the Painswick Beacon,

S1053070 copy S1053080 copy

Looking towards StroudS1053081 copy

Looking back to the Beacon

S1053083 copy

Spoonbed Farm

S1053084 copy S1053085 copy S1053087 copy S1053088 copy S1053092 copy S1053099 copy

Thatched roofs are unusual here

S1053101 copy

Holcombe House 16th/17th centuryS1053102 copy

 

Another thatched roofS1053105 copy S1053108 copy S1053111 copy

Holcombe FollyS1053113 copy

Looking back to the Beacon

S1053120 copy

Painswick

S1053136 copy

Former chapel at Edge

S1053138 copy

S1053146 copy

S1053149 copy S1053155 copy

This represents Wragg Castle – the 12th century Ragged Castle that was once near here

S1053157 copy

Pincot Lane

S1053161 copy S1053162 copy S1053163 copy

 

Pitchcombe churchS1053165 copy S1053170 copy S1053171 copy S1053172 copy S1053173 copy

Kings Mill

There was a water mill here in 1495, it has been a corn mill, a cloth mill and a pin mill

S1053178 copy S1053179 copy S1053181 copy S1053182 copy S1053185 copy S1053186 copy S1053188 copy

The name Castle Hale comes from the fortified mansion that was here in the 12th century

S1053189 copy

Nearby:

Painswick Rocco Garden

Pitchcombe

Prinknash Bird and Deer Park

 

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top