CIRENCESTER

Gloucestershire

28th April 2017                                                 Photos by Hetty

We followed part of the Cirencester Town Trail looking for hares on the Cotswold Hare Trail

This one is in the Corinium Museum

This huge yew hedge – said to be the tallest in the world – forms part of the boundary of Cirencester Park

Park St

The Barracks in Cecily Hill, built in 1857, as HQ for the Royal North Gloucestershire Militia

Gates to the Broad Drive of Cirencester Park

Many of the houses in Cecily Hill were built in the 18th and 19th century

This hare is called ‘Sixpence’, and is outside Tanners in Thomas St

 

Coxwell St

St Thomas Hospital almshouse founded in 1483

Hospital of St John founded by Henry II

In the Abbey Grounds

Remains of the Roman Town Hall

Dyer St

Bear Inn

Market Place

The Parish Church of St John Baptist, Market Place. The largest parish church in Gloucestershire, dates from the 12th century. It replaced a Saxon church here. The tower was erected in 1400 and the porch added in 1500

Fan vaulting in the porch

The nave – originally 12th century, rebuilt and raised in height in 1520

Boleyn Cup – made in 1535 for Ann Boleyn, Blue Boy – 1714, and Lepus a hare

Monox Tomb 1638

Rare wine glass pulpit 1450

St Catherine’s Chapel

Lady Chapel

Thomas Masters

Humphrey Bridges, his wife and 11 children

Trinity Chapel 1430-1460

Brewery Court

Next – Amberley Cow Hunt

All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk

Back to top