Avening to Cherington
October 2014 Photos by Hetty
Click here for map of walk Distance 4 miles Walk time 2 hours 30 mins
On a lovely morning we parked opposite these houses in Avening and walked to Cherington.
Opposite the bottom of Tetbury Hill, is a Gothic stone memorial to William Fowles (1835-1896).
We went to look for the ‘Roundabout’ marked on the map – it is a circle of trees:
At the hamlet of Nag’s Head is the former Nag’s Head InnIt has very fancy decoration – The holes in the carving formed entrances to beehives set between the ceiling and first floor of the old pub.
Where the pub sign used to hang
Reflections in the stream
Cherington pond was dug in the mid 18th century
And reflections in puddles
Lots of berries
Cherington Village Green
The Drivers Charity Houses were rebuilt in 1829
The church of St. Nicholas – a building started in the 12th century
How do we get through this gate, without letting the horses out?
Back to Nag’s Head
At the bottom of Hampton Hill, Avening
Cross Inn, an 18th century building recorded as an inn since 1856.
Now called Queen Matilda
It was a lovely walk and we saw wonderful reflections
All images on the website copyright of HettyHikes.co.uk
Back to top